2011 Summer Road Trip - Day 11 & 12

Tuesday, June 7, 2011
David got on his flight out of Houston and was already in New York City by the time we got on the road today.  We traveled about four hours from Houston and were ready to stop.  We spent the night at a Homewood Suites in Longview, Texas, and had a great overnight stay!  The hotel offered dinner, so we were able to eat on the cheap, which was awesome!  We were totally disappointed by the pool, though.  They had a great outdoor pool, but we weren't able to swim because they had just treated it with some pretty strong chemicals.  The girls threw a fit, but there honestly wasn't much I could do about it.  Instead of swimming we went up and watched a little television then went to bed.  I think we were all a little bit excited about  getting to be home the next night.

We got up pretty late the next morning, but still managed to make it down for the hotel breakfast buffet.  While we were eating breakfast, Dr. Wilkins' office called and said that they had an appointment open up for Jack that afternoon if we wanted to come in.   Of course, we definitely wanted to get our little man in.  He's been fighting a rotten ear infection for over a month, and has been through three rounds of antibiotics with no real change.  I wanted Dr. Wilkins to check him out again before we left to go to New York.  We were making excellent time until we made it to Arkansas.    There was a horrible accident on I-30 just outside Arkadelphia.  Apparently a big rig hit a truck and they both caught on fire.  The medical helicopter flew in and landed right on the interstate.

We were diverted around the accident and were on our way pretty quickly.  We all said a little prayer for the people involved.  It is so scary to see something like that when we know that it could have been us... Thanks to God for the travel mercies he's given us.  We've been through some tight scrapes, but have always been safe on the road.  Hope the people involved in this accident came out OK, too.  

I don't know how, but we made it to Jack's doctor's appointment with time to spare.  Dr. Wilkins told me what I expected to hear.  Jack still had fluid in his ears, so the doc decided to give him two antibiotic shots.  He had to take one today and will have to go back tomorrow or the next day for the other shot.  I just hate those shots.  They hurt like fire!  Poor little man just cried and cried.  It was so sad...

After Jack's appointment with the doctor we headed out to Nana's house.  Papaw had promised to cook us some catfish, so of course we were there!  It was good to see them after being gone so long.

The rest of the week passed by in a flurry of doctor's appointments for Jack, Katie and myself, and getting ready for Reese's birthday party.  Her birthday isn't until June 20th, but since we'll be on the road that day we decided to have a birthday party for her on the 12th.  She is so excited!  I will post separately about her party...