2010 Summer Road Trip - Day 24

Sunday, June 20, 2010
Today is my baby girl's 4th birthday! I can't believe she's grown up so fast! It never fails that we are vacationing when her birthday rolls around, so this year I decided to do something better than just a cupcake in a hotel room. Last night on our way home from dinner we stopped at Wal-Mart and picked up one of those helium tanks for birthday balloons. I got up earlier than the kids and sat in the hotel room bathroom to blow up the balloons. I was terrified that I would wake them up before I was ready, especially after I popped a few balloons while blowing them up, but thankfully my kids are extra heavy sleepers.

The first thing Reese said when she woke up and saw all of the balloons was, "Mama, can I have a balloon?". When I told her they were all for her because it was her birthday she was so excited! She just kept saying, "Thank you Mama! Thank you for my balloons!". It was so sweet! We also had some Hostess cupcakes, but since we didn't have a lighter or a match to light the birthday candles it was kind of a let down.






Since we had to leave Niagara Falls today, and there was NO way we could get 30 balloons into the car, the girls went down to the hotel lobby and handed the balloons out to everyone they saw. People seemed hesitant to take the balloons at first, but when they realized the kids weren't SELLING them they didn't have any trouble getting rid of them.



Our car was packed to the top for our ride to Ohio. Reese was literally jammed into the third row with all of the luggage and stuff, but she didn't seem to mind.




It seemed to take forever, but we did finally make it to Detroit and the United States border. We were not prepared for the line at the border crossing, but it did move fairly fast.


The view of Detroit from the bridge.




I have never been so glad to see a sign for Ohio!



It took us all day, but we did make it to GranMary's house safe and sound. Now it's time to rest up for Reese's birthday party tomorrow!

0 comments: