Provincetown - Commercial Street

Sunday, September 20, 2009
Exhausted and a little sweaty after the walk on the breakwater and the climb to the top of the Pilgrim Monument, we finally decided it was time to eat. We knew we wanted to see Commercial Street, but weren't really sure how to get there. We finally just programmed the GPS unit to the "Lobster Pot" on Commercial and figured we'd find our way. We knew we were on Commercial the minute we saw all of the rainbow flags and art galleries. I didn't get a good enough photo of Commercial Street to convey the true vibrance and energy of the area. I borrowed these from the web, and hopefully they'll show you just a little of what I'm talking about.



We somehow managed to snag an awesome (and FREE) parking space and headed out in search of sustenance. We knew we wanted seafood, preferably a lobster. We looked around for quite a while, but with the help of an iPhone, Google and our hunger pangs we decided...What better place to eat than a place called the Lobster Pot?



At first the Lobster Pot just looked like any old dive, and since we were only a party of two, we fully expected to be tossed to an awful table in the middle of the room. Boy, were we wrong! We got a corner seat at the end of the dining area that was surrounded by windows facing the water. What more could we ask for?



The rest of our time at the Lobster Pot could only be termed "Foodie Heaven"! We both ordered the clambake, and we were not disappointed. The only thing we didn't like was the oysters. I just cannot see why anyone would want to eat those things! We also got some "little steamers" and those were better. The clam chowder was excellent, and the salad was out of this world! Let me take a moment to describe this salad... There was NO iceberg lettuce (thank goodness). It was composed of all kinds of field greens. Lovely! The waiter presented us with four different types of homemade dressings; a tasty Buttermilk Ranch, a Ginger Vinaigrette, a fresh Bleu Cheese and a Honey Mustard type sauce. We liked them all! Neither of us are Bleu Cheese eaters, but we did find this one tolerable. The rest were amazing! I actually passed up dessert and had another serving of salad after I ate my lobster.

The lobster that arrived hot and steaming on my plate couldn't have been more tender. After actually figuring out how to get that booger out of his shell we proceeded to stuff ourselves. I think Rhonda and I both skipped eating our potatoes, but enjoyed everything else immensely.

We really enjoyed the couple sitting at the table next to us, too. They were both retired school teachers and were very interesting to talk with. Of course, the minute they found out we were from Arkansas they wanted to know what we thought of Bill Clinton. I had a hard time thinking of a politically neutral way to answer their questions. I eventually said that I liked his politics, but thought he acted like a bit of a hooker. Probably not the right thing to say, but it was the truth! The wife of the couple also wanted to know if we felt "claustrophobic" living in Arkansas... Say what? We told her that living in Arkansas was just fine. She clarified her question by asking how we liked living where we couldn't see the ocean. I at least understood her query then, but still thought the question was strangely worded. Rhonda and I assured her that we had plenty of lakes and rivers to help keep claustrophobia from being a problem... I wish I had thought to get their names so we could send them a trip report. They probably would have enjoyed it!

After eating our dinner we waddled out into the fray on Commercial Street. It was interesting in its' own special way... I have never seen so many art galleries in one place! We wandered into a couple of those and thoroughly enjoyed the art. We stopped to have ice cream at Lewis Brothers and loved it. I ordered a banana split. I thought that would be a pretty simple request. Just a classic banana split. Well, in Provincetown, there is no such thing as a "classic" banana split. I ended up walking the guy through what types of ice cream (chocolate, vanilla & strawberry), what types of toppings (marshmallow, chocolate syrup & strawberries) and which kind of nuts (almonds). I was totally pleased with the outcome, but thought it was strange that he put the bananas on top! He told me I was high maintenance, too. We got a good laugh out of that!


All in all, we had a great night in Provincetown. We made it back to the hotel pretty late and crashed for the night. We're off for more adventures tomorrow!

1 comments:

  1. Amy said...:

    look slike fun... if you like that kind of thing;-) haope your appt. went well! miss you guys!