Road Trip Day #15 of 26

Friday, June 26, 2009
We left Alyssa's house (with a few tears after I got down the road a bit) we headed to Savannah, Georgia. My cousins, Angela, Grant and Raleigh Jo Smith were meeting us there so that we could begin our Hilton Head beach vacation together. We arrived in Savannah before them and got checked into our hotel, the Four Points by Sheraton Savannah Airport. The hotel was wonderful! We got a room with a king sized bed and a sleeper sofa, which was nice because Reese usually ends up sleeping with David and me. Having a king sized bed makes that a little more comfortable. Katie is just fine with the sleeper, so we're all happy! Angela and the kids got a room with two queens. It seemed a little crowded, but the decor was fun. Kind of a nautical theme.


The Smiths' plane landed at the Savannah airport at 2:42pm and we went right down to pick them up. The girls were just happy to pile up in the bed with Raleigh Jo and relax for a while, but after relaxing just a bit at the hotel we decided to strike out to downtown Savannah for a little sight seeing. Grant was on a mission to see Forrest Gump's bench, but there really is no such thing. It was just a movie prop! He was disappointed, but we did manage to get some great photos in Old Savannah.



We decided to go eat at the Olde Pink House for dinner that night, and let me say, it was AMAZING! Here is the review that was in Frommer's for this fabulous restaurant.

Built in 1771 and glowing pink (its antique bricks show through a protective covering of stucco), this house has functioned as a private home, a bank, a tearoom, and headquarters for one of Sherman's generals. Today its interior is severe and dignified, with stiff-backed chairs, bare wooden floors, and an 18th-century aura similar to what you'd find in Williamsburg, Virginia. The cuisine is richly steeped in the traditions of the Low Country and includes sautéed local shrimp with country ham and grits cake, crispy scored flounder with apricot sauce, steak au poivre, black grouper stuffed with blue crab and drenched in white onion and butter sauce, and grilled tenderloin of pork served with collard greens and yams. You can enjoy your meal in the candlelit dining rooms or in the Planters Tavern.


And some pictures:




I also managed to find a copy of the menu online, so I uploaded it here, too. (The original source is www.savannahga.net.)


I had the Jumbo Sea Scallops with Apple Chutney. They were AMAZING! They don't offer a children's menu, so I ordered a side of macaroni & cheese for Reese. I thought it was great, but she didn't like it much. I'm sure it was because it wasn't what she was used to. Their version of mac & cheese was more like what my Meema used to make, a true, homemade, baked macaroni & cheese. It had a crunchy top of melted cheese and it was delicious! We had a hard time keeping the kids quiet while we were eating, and since this was a very nice restaurant, I was a little embarrassed. I must give 100,000 thanks to Raleigh Jo for coming to the rescue with her iPhone. The kids loved that! The restaurant also had a waitress who would sing for tips. She was incredible! She sang "Moon River" to the table next to us, and it was enough to make me want to cry! I loved it!

After leaving The Olde Pink House we walked to the area of Savannah right on the river and explored. The river area of Savannah is old and mystical and beautiful. I would recommend at least one visit sometime in your lifetime. As for myself, I can't wait to go back!

We went back to the hotel after our tour and settled down for the night. David's plane arrived around midnight, so he took the hotel shuttle to get to us. I was thankful because both girls were sleeping. They woke up when he came in, but it was better than dragging them out to go get him or waking up the cousins to come watch them.

All in all, Savannah is definitely a place I would visit again. I would love to go without the kids and explore the romantic side of Savannah with David sometime!

0 comments: